Tourism or Recreation?

Index Forums IRNIST Forum Tourism or Recreation?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Orsolya CzeglediOrsolya Czegledi
    Keymaster

I’m doing a research at nature parks (or other protected nature sites), which are visited by local residents, and domestic and international tourists.
    Their behavior and motivations are very similar (speaking about European sites) and they seek similar experiences: getting closer to nature, do outdoor activities (most often hiking and biking, but also others, according to the geographical features of the parks, and/or accessibility, infrastructure, etc.). Even their buying behavior is very similar, with the exception of tourist accommodation expenditures.

The question is, how can these semantically different activities (tourism and recreation) – which happen to take place at the same venues – be distinguished? What are the elements, along which we can differentiate between them? And even more, do we need to distinguish them and analyze them separately?

Engin DermanEngin Derman
    Participant

According to me; Tourism includes recreational activities. İf local people do these activities, their names are recreation. Sometimes we can analyze seperately.

Engin DermanEngin Derman
    Participant

For example there is an adventure park in Manavgat/Turkey(www.adventure-park.com.tr). If tourists go there, these activities are tourizm. If I get my students there, these activities are recreation.

Keymaster

So you mean that the only differentiating factor between tourism and recreation activities is the distance between the residence and the venue of the activity?

What’s about the other factors? Expenditure for example? The experiences visitors seek? Motivations? Other activities and the length of the stay? etc.

What I’m looking for is a definition, but also a reasoning if we should, or should not differentiate between these activities..

Engin DermanEngin Derman
    Participant

I think that this is main factor. Tourism activities have to be done far from residence. Tourism is a broad concept. All recreational activities can be used in tourism. But I accept that it is difficult question. İt is like; Does chicken exist from egg or does egg exist from chicken?

Keymaster

Nature parks are frequented for both recreation and tourism purposes. Even more, some of my findings suggest, that nature sites are also visited by (domestic or international) tourists with recreation purposes (either active of passive).
    In other words, the question is not the place of recreational activities in tourism, but the distinction (or not) between tourism and recreational activities at protected nature sites.

Alayode AjibuaAlayode Ajibua
    Participant

Tourism and recreation are subset of leisure. The only difference is the locale of activity. There close related.
    i. Both are carried out at free time
    ii. Bothe are carried out by choice
    iii. Both do not allow remuneration of participans
    iv Both make use of the same elements and resources
    v. Howeve, Tourism is bigger than recreation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.